The Window of Tolerance
What is the Window of Tolerance ?
The Window of Tolerance is a term to describe the physiology of stress in the nervous system. The
model was first developed by Daniel Siegel in 1999. According to the model the window of tolerance is the calm state where we can function well. There are low-level ups and downs within the window. A well functioning nervous system looks like this.
A poorly functioning nervous system looks more like this:
Not only is the widow much smaller there is much more sudden changes between states. The sudden changes are triggered by conscious or unconscious trauma memories popping up
The body responds to stress either by going into hper-arousal or hypo-arousal. Hyper-arousal is – more commonly known as the fight-flight response. Hypo-arousal is the freeze state.
Understanding where you are in this model can help you come back into your window of
- Taking deep breaths
- Noticing space around you, ground under your feet,
- Bring awareness to the physical body and support from the ground
Moving and stretching
Awareness of the breath
Training and Certifications
- Professional Certified Coach with International Coaching Federation since 2020
- One Of Edinburgh’s Top 10 Coaches
- Certified Team Coaching Foundations Certified Coach since 2022
- NARM Informed Professional (Neuro Affective Relational Model) since 2021
- Conscious Business Coach with BetterUp ( 2020)
- Member of International Coach Federation since 2019
- Certificate in Transformational Coaching with Coach Masters Academy (2019 – 2020)
- Trained in Art of Developmental Coaching with Coaches Rising (2019)
- Certified Trainer in Relational Whole Body Focusing since 2018
- Trained in Voice Dialogue Facilitation 2017-2018
- Trained in Core Skills Mindful Self Compassion 2012
- Trained in Non-Violent Communication Skills as part of training in Facilitation Skills using the Expressive and Creative Arts (2011- 13)
- Participant at Art of Collaborative Leadership Training Seminar September 2010
- Certified Trainer in Religious Diversity and Anti-Discrimination
Hi, I’m Ruth Friedman
I have been facilitating workshops of different kinds for over 20 years. I currently run group coaching sessions for diverse Fortune 500 companies, supporting participants to explore together issues such as Inclusive Leadership, Resiliency, and Feedback. I have been supporting executives since 2014.